cups, mpage, lp etc.

Hi folks,

This morning, I was faced with a simple task of printing a pdf document.
To save paper and ink, i wanted to print two pages to a sheet and duplex
them(manually since the printer does not support duplex).

I have so far managed to configure CUPS and it prints fine but that is
far as I have got. There was actually a little problem there as well -
the printer is actually an Epson Stylus C62 but the CUPS system only
shows an Epson Stylus C60. I tried downloading and installing the
foomatic file for the C62 but when I try to print, it says that the
printer is stopped. Clicking start printer doesn't help either. I am
using the web interface BTW.

I then tried to print using mpage but each time i send the job, the
printer page says "No pages found"

I tried to print from KGhostview (hoping that it would have good support
for CUPS since its KDE) but the printer page says "Invalid Printer
Settings" for the document coming from there.

Galeon just crashed on trying to print.

In the end, I did pdf2ps, then ran

mpage -2 -bA4 >output.ps

on the ps file, then ran ps2pdf to get a pdf file back and ran

lp -o page-ranges=1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 output.pdf

However, since the pdf file originally was a scanned document - the
pages seems to have been cut off at the top.

What I would like to know if anyone can help me in this is

1. Is there an easier way of doing this (without the pdf2ps and ps2pdf).
Preferable just one command to print a document 2 pages to a side and
just the even pages of the result or the odd pages of the result.
2. How can I get mpage not to chop the top of the pages off

Thanks for any help / pointers.

Shri
PS - can you cc: me please since I am currently unsubscribed.
PPS - running testing system updated yesterday

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            26/3 Annandale Street   Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4AN       Web: www.urbyte.com