Re: give me the command line - REPHRASED

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 03:12:09PM +0100, Hans Christian Andersen wrote:
> On booting my woody-box it goes directly into X without letting me command
> startx.
> How do I make it stay at a command line untill I order startx?

others have answered this, but let me REPHRASE ;)

you're apparently running a "display manager" (xdm, gdm, kdm).
that's what gives you the graphical login.  find out which one
you've got via an xterm or rxvt session:

	ps ax | grep dm

it's probably either "xdm" or "kdm" (KDE) or "gdm" (Gnome).

as root, just do

	apt-get remove xdm      or kdm or gdm

and you'll be set. to get into x from the console (when you're
using the graphical interface, that's the "X Window Display
System" -- when you're not, that's the "console") just enter

	startx

and you'll be off to the races.

if you'd like to have the graphical login sometimes, and
sometimes not, you can munge your runlevel settings in
/etc/rc*.d/xdm (or gdm or kdm).

by default, debian installs runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5 as
identical, and you can change that; find the symlink under rc3.d
that links to xdm (or gdm or kdm) and then rename it from S?? to
K?? (instead of a "start" script it'll be a "kill" script).
now switch to runlevel 3 to have console login, and no X until
you "startx" yourself. at runlevel 2 you'll still have your
graphical login.

	# chdir /etc/rc3.d

this is where stuff for runlevel 3 gets "S"tarted or "K"illed.

	# ls S???dm
	S99xdm
	# rename S99xdm K99xdm
	# telinit 3
	# telinit 2

cool, eh?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #12 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Where is the DOCUMENTATION? It's all over the place... and there's
lots of it. Much was written for non-debian distributions, and
much was written long, long ago. But try these anyhow: on your
own system, try "man" and "info" and "apropos", and also look
under /usr/share/doc/<package>* ... Online, there's linuxdoc.org,
debianhelp.org, and debian.org/doc/ of course.  Also try
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/general/index-deb-help-sys.html
and
	apt-get install dhelp