Perl Modules and CPAN

I'm finding that a lot of times I end up installing perl modules from CPAN in order to obtain stable versions or versions with functionality that I need.

The problem that I run into with this method is that I end up with either two sets of software in different locations: one for Debian, the other for CPAN.

Additionally, the Debian package library does not know about anything that I have installed independently and will block on dependencies.

Is there any way that I might be able to reconcile some of these differences? I would love to be able to install from CPAN and leave them and have Debian's packaging systen eventually upgrade over them when the same packages are released as .debs.

But I cannot fathom how to begin doing this. Meanwhile I have some packages that are duplicates, some are CPAN and some are Debian.
--
  I marvel at the strength of human weakness.