From: Willi Dyck [mailto:wdyck@gmx.net]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 3:31 PM
To: Debian User
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian + RAID hardware

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:59:27PM -0500, Debian User wrote:
[...snip...]

> Now (after the crash) they are finally willing to get me a
> proper box. I could use some suggestions on what to get. I
> don't need more than 1 processor, 1G of RAM is almost a waste,
> but what I need are nice, fast, and REDUNDANT disk drives,
> preferably hot-swappable.
> So anyone who knows of a 2 or 3 U rackmount with a RAID5
> controller with hotswap SCSI that will take debian stable,
> please let me know. Or even if you have had good experience
> with a RAID controller, I could build it myself, the main
> thing I am concerned with is that it does RAID5 and is
> supported by stable.
> Thanks.

Ha, tomorrow I am going to play with a nice Compaq Proliant 1850 :-)
with two QFE nics, a Compaq SMART Array controller with two Ultra Wide
SCSI 18GiG attached to it (hot-swapable, I think?!?). It has currently
only one CPU but is upgradable up to 2 CPU's. I think it supports up to
2GiG SDRAM. It is 3U high. I will report to this list if I had success
or not. So far I have managed to boot Debian 3.0 stable from a self made
bootable CD, which runs completly in RAM. The Compaq SMART Array
controller is supported by the Linux kernel (2.4.X), but I have not yet
actually build a RAID.

Regards,
Willi

--
Windows is great, I used it to download Linux.
    -- Seen on Slashdot (14.01.2000)