Problems with mouse + X

For some reason, X won’t startup, saying “Screens found; none usable.” When Debian prompts me to configure X, my mouse refuses to work. If I select anything from “Mouse Configuration”, it exits out and leaves me at a blank screen, unable to get back to the terminal. I tried using Expert Mode to change my mouse to /dev/psaux, but it seems to always default back to /dev/mouse.

If you can think of anything I can do at the console to fix this, it would be much appreciated. The X config program never cleanly exits and makes me sit through the root check everytime I startup Linux.

Thanks in advance,

Chris