Re: give me the command line

    "Hans" == Hans Christian Andersen <HCA@dk.ibm.com> writes:

    Hans> I recently installed woody (vanilla) and KDE on a 400Mhz box
    Hans> on my home LAN. I want it to go to KDE only after my
    Hans> commanding startx. As it is now it starts KDE without
    Hans> prompting me.  How do I change that without reinstallation?
    Hans> Thank you in advance.

Rename the scripts in /etc/rc2.d/* (I am assuming your /etc/inittab
file has run level 2 as the default) that start kdm: 'mv S99kdm
K01kdm' in that directory (and so on for gdm/xdm if you have them
installed). The next time you boot they will not start, this time you
can manually stop kdm (/etc/init.d/kdm stop), or switch to run level 3
and back to run level 2 (telinit 3; telinit 2).

Cheers!
Shyamal