Errors after Kernel-updates

Yesterday I updated the kernel image of my notebook with
a copy of standard debian image for 2.4.18-586.

The update went without flaws except that on every boot I get theese messages:
- /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.18-686-smp/modules.dep
- insmod: cannot locate module *
- cannot read /etc/mtab no such file or directory

They do not appear in the log.

The mtab thing seems to be a bug related to initrd and it i
attempts to read a mtab which simply doesn't exist at such
an early stage, right?

But what about theese modules / insmod errors?

Can they be ignored? Or even better: can you make them disappearing?

Thank you