Re: Recursively export NFS file systems

On Monday, February 3, 2003 03:28, Aaron Isotton wrote:
> I want to export the whole file system of "zarathustra" via NFS to
> "osiris".

This sounds like a job for autofs.

I'd recommend you consult the autofs manual page, the automount manual page,
the autofs home page, the Linux networking HOWTO, and so on for accurate
details, but if you want a brief idea, keep reading...

Some implementations of autofs allow you to simply add a map entry similar to:
/net     -hosts
to your autofs configuration file (typically /etc/auto.master) on the client,
then do "ls /net/osiris" on zarathustra to see what's on osiris.

If this doesn't work, you could create an NIS map such as auto.net containing
the exports and the mount points and add a map entry similar to:
/net     auto.net

If you don't want to make any changes on the client, most systems will also
read the auto.master map from the server by default (provided autofs is
enabled), so you could add the auto.net entry to auto.master on the server,
then create NIS maps of both for the client to access.

Naturally, you'll need to list all desired disk partitions (/ /usr /var /boot
...) in /etc/exports on zarathustra.

You might also like to investigate the BSD automounter, amd, which seems
slightly more powerful to me, but is not supported on most other Unixes.

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle
Adacel Technologies