Re: Debian CD Install Problems

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:03:08PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

> I purchased the Debian 3.0r1 CDs from Cheapbytes recently, and have been
> unable to install from them. I had a similar thing happen with the 3.0
> CDs. Here's what happens:
>
> Debian boots from the first CD, asks questions as usual, then asks for
> all the CDs to scan them. It builds the list of packages and runs
> dselect to allow me to choose which packages I want, which I do. At some
> point it proceeds to pull the packages off the disk to install them,
> which is where the trouble starts.
>
> It doesn't automatically find where things are on the CD. Instead, it
> asks me for the location of location of the top level "Packages-Master"
> file. It reads the at the location I give it, and then tells me there
> are no *.deb packages there. It then asks me where the *.deb files are.
> Well, they're not in one location-- they're in subdirectories under the
> pool subdirectory. When I give it that location, it continues to give me
> problems.
>
> I'm at a loss. The exact same thing happened with the Deb 3.0 disks, and
> I can't imagine that Cheapbytes screwed up the burns the same way. There
> is something about the way dselect is trying to find things-- somehow
> the discs are not organized the way it thinks.
>
> Surely someone's had this problem before and knows the answer. Help?!

I solved this problem but it was tedious. You have to carefully read the
questions. For each package set (main, contrib, non-us, non-free, etc.)
it will ask you where that is. I can't remember exactly (yeah, I know),
but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of dists/woody/main, and it's
looking for the Packages.gz file. Give it the directory that's in. Then
it will tell you it can't find *.deb files there, and ask you where
_those_ are. In all cases, you answer that question with pool/main.

It will install everything it can from the first disk, configure it, and
act like it's done. It's not. You have to insert (not mount) the next
disk, and tell it to install _again_. Then it will pick up the stuff
from that disk. Rinse and repeat.

Pretty goofy. I remember a time (2.2) when dselect would ask for the
next disk until you were done.

Paul