Re: How I partitioned my harddrive

on Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:54:46PM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez (arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com) wrote:
> [...]

<125 lines snipped>

Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
cited.  Trim your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are
accurate.

See: http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/Email-Quotes.html

> Hi Karsten, I have a perhaps stupid question with an obvious answer
> (but not so evident to me):

> During the installation process of a Debian system, I don't remember
> ever being prompted a question asking me in what partition I wanted to
> install anything except / ,

During the partitioning dialogs, you're prompted for creating
partitions, and/or where you want to mount these partitions.  Only the
root and swap partitions are queried by default, you'd want to
initialize and mount additional partitions (an additional option) to
create multiple system partitions.  This is covered in chapter 6 of the
Debian Woody installation manual:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-partitioning.en.html

> so I figure that this redistribution into different partitions must be
> done after the whole installation script runs. Do you accomplish this
> by moving, or by creating syslinks? Or either way? Which is best?

"Best" is pretty subjective.

If you've got slack (free) space on your drive(s), you can partition
this with fdisk, cfdisk, etc., *carefully*.  Create filesystem(s) of
your preferred type (most commonly ext2, ext3, or reiserfs).

To transfer content, it's generally best to boot the system to
single-user mode, then:

   - Mount the source partition read-only.

   - Mount the new partition to, eg:  /mnt/target

   - CD to the top of the directory tree you plan to transfer.

   - use tar to migrate the old tree to the new location:

      tar cvpf . | ( cd /mnt/target; tar xvpf - )

   - umount /mnt/target.

   - edit /etc/fstab to reflect new mountpoint.

   - rename source source.old

   - mount target partition to source

Rinse, wash, and repeat for additional partitions.

Peace.

   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.
     http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html