Re: XFree86 display problems

> I was under the assumption that Debian used a different
> packaging method, namely DEB.

That is correct!

> can Debian use the RPMs from that site?

I can not speak for these particular packages, but I have at least had
good experience with "alien" on the video drivers for my videocard
(which was ATI Mobility ....):

  bash% alien --to-deb <package.rpm>
  bash% dpkg -i <package.deb>

You might need to do

  bash% apt-get install alien

first.

[As you have probably already understood alien is a program to convert
 between package formats, the very nature of this program indicates
 that it is not exactly bomb-proof, but at least my experience has
 been good.]

In my case the resulting .deb package released the X files into a
brand new /usr/x11r6 directory structure, instead of the correct
/usr/X11R6, whether this was the fault of the original RPM, the alien
program or what I don't know, I just moved (or actually symlinked in
to) those files manually.

Another tip when you are battling X startup problems:

  bash% startx 2> /tmp/x.error

will send standard error to a file, so you can view this in peace.

Good luck

Joakim

--
Joakim Hove