chrooting postfix and smtp-auth

I have postfix smtp-auth working using pwckeck_method: pam in
/etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf.  However, I had to make postfix smtp not
run chrooted in /etc/postfix/master.cf.

If I try leaving smtp chrooted then it fails trying to open the
/etc/pam.d/smtp file.  In order to get smtp to run chrooted I will need
to copy this file plus some pam library files.  Then even if I copy all
this, I will be in trouble if these are later updated on my system but
not copied again to the chroot.

Is it worth trying to make postfix run chrooted when I need to enable
smtp-authentication via pam?  If I track down all the files needed in
the chroot, then what simple ways are there to keep them consistent with
the rest of the system as I upgrade in the future?  Will I always have
to check manually?

I love apt-get and use it along with security.debian.org to keep my
system up to date.  For me, it is probably a bigger security threat to
make system upgrades more difficult than to run postfix smtp
un-chrooted.  So basically, is it possible to get postfix to run
chrooted and provide smtp-auth via pam and keep system maintenance easy?

Regards.
Mark.