Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #381

-Don Spoon- wrote:

First, my appologies for any confusion I may have generated on my previous post. Setting up for demand dialing and controling when you kick it off (bootup or manually via PON) are two different things.

No problem.  I happened to have RTFM on that one and was not confused.

Could you take a look at your routing in the different configs you have posted? IIRC, the "defaultroute" or "gateway" on RETURN should be pointed at the ppp0 interface in the "demand" mode. I had some problems with this at first because I had set up a "gateway" entry for my eth0 interface on my equivalent of your "RETURN", and it just wouldn't dial out. I had to remove the "gateway" entry for that interface in /etc/network/interfaces file, and things would work OK. The pppd "defaultroute" option just wouldn't overwrite an existing one for the ethernet card(s). I only had to do this on my "gateway" computer...all the rest on my LAN pointed to that computer as their "gateway".

OK. While I was online getting the flood of Debian-user digests, (pretty high traffic list for a bumpkin like me) I got this:

return:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
66.81.235.139   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         66.81.235.139   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

I then re-activated the demand and persist options, thereby borking my ability to go on-line, and got this:

return:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
10.112.112.112  *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         10.112.112.112  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

From the literature, this is the behavior I would expect. ppp0 is pointed at a mythical IP address until it gets an outbound packet, and then it is supposed to dial. It just doesn't. I suspect some subtle misconfiguration...I pretty much followed the instructions to set things up, and I can't even figure out where to look further based on the man pages, etc. Doh!

Thanks for taking me under your wing.

On a totally unrelated note, everybody agrees that astronauts know what kind of risk they are taking, but man, it sucks quantitized rocks when they have to cover that bet.

Siggy

The strange thing in your situation is that manually starting pppd in the non-demand mode works. That doesn't jive with the above suggestion, but it is worth a look anyway. The "demand" funtion of pppd does work... I used it for several years until I got my Cable Modem connection.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-