Re: Setting up the mail program

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:03:18 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Once again, have a properly configured MTA (mail transport agent) like
> exim running.  eximconfig will set exim up for you by asking a few
> questions.

    I never understood why people insist on a fully qualified MTA (or any MTA,
for that matter) for sending through a static SMTP server.  The most often
cited reason is "Well, what do you do when the SMTP server doesn't answer?"
Erm, what do you do when the MTA isn't installed or returns an error code?
One would think that the solution to both would be identical.  Unfortunately
most people seem to think that a mail program shouldn't have to deal with
missing or dying MTAs with any sort of grace.  IE, just dumping the message
back on the user is somehow acceptable.  *shrug*

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days