bad dynamic tag

I've had trouble booting since I installed woody a couple
of months or so ago (kernel 2.2.20 #1), but things have
become so bad recently that I'm hoping I might get some
help from you kind folks.  (I've found correspondence about
such a problem in debian list archives, but no solution.)

The key symptom seems to be a line

	Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion '! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

which can crop up several times during the boot process.

It may be followed by segmentation faults in daemons trying
start or "...respawning too fast" messages or a message to
mount and fsck the partition or press Ctrl-D -- is that last
one what you call "single user mode"?

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?  There's no file
called "dynamic-link.h" on my system, by the way.

David