Re: apm -s with vim open -> lockup

Matthew Weier OPhinney said:
> I've got debian testing on my wife's old p-120 laptop; it works great, and
> with the plethora of text tools I typically use, it's much more productive
> than windows ever was on it.
>
> However, I've noticed some odd behaviour in relation to suspending while a
> vim session is open: in a nutshell, when I try to wake the machine, it
> won't. I have to turn it off and turn it on again.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to do this (i.e., suspend
> while a vim session is open)? I'd like to be able to walk away from the
> machine while editing a file and not have to reboot to
> continue!

I cannot possibly imagine how vim could affect suspending in any
way. are you running in X?

worst case I suppose you could load vim in screen, or just hit ^Z to
suspend the vim session then 'fg' to restore it. vim doesn't interact
with the hardware in any way so it seems incredibly unlikely to me
that vim would be the cause.

it is not uncommon(for me at least) to have a laptop not suspend while
in X. the workaround for me is to either risk CTRL+ALT+F1 and hope
X can come back after a resume, or exit X and suspend from the console.

nate