Re: Heavy harddrive use after startup

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:36:16 +0100
Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl> wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone else experiences this, I had thought it was a
> gnome problem, but am no longer using gnome.
>
> About 5 minutes after I boot up, the harddrive goes crazy for about 3-5
> minutes slowing everything down, and I was wondering if anyone has any
> idea what might be causing it.
>
> I run, kdm, rox session with sawfish, but this has been consistent since
> I installed the system and then I was running gnome and/or kde.  I have
> uninstalled everything kde except the libraries needed for kdm.
>
> Any ideas would be most appreciated, as it drives me a little crazy,
> especially as I have no idea what is causing it.

I have this also and believe that it is updatedb (used by locate)
running in the background.  I hardly ever turn my box off but if I do
the next day after I boot the computer is almost unusable for 3 to 5
minutes due to disk activity. If the computer is left on the same
thing occours at around 7:00 am. Check your /etc/cron.daily dir to see
what is being run. Hope this helps.

R. Pluschke