Re: X11 stability

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:36:52AM -0800, nate wrote:
[...]
| as far as I know, most commercial X servers (IRIX, AIX, HPUX, Solaris)
| do not allow switching either, at least I've never figured out how
| to switch on those systems.

It's not the X server, it's the kernel.  The Alt-Ctrl-F[1-7] virtual
console magic is linux-specific.  Solaris doesn't have any comparable
facility.  That is one reason applications like 'screen' were
developed.

The SiS6326 video card I have (used in vesafb mode, at least) doesn't
mind if I switch between X and a console.  (I actually have 2 X
displays, one on VC7 and one on VC8)  It's a pretty cheap and basic
video card, but it doesn't lock up.  The worst I've seen is X dies
(and gdm restarts it) if I switch to a VC too soon after logging in
via gdm.  The solution there is to wait a few seconds before
switching.

-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/