Re: Debian Configuration

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 01:41:27AM -0800, nate wrote:
| David Goodenough said:
|
| > Would it not make sense for the install process for cups ask
| > whether to use printcat rather than printcap.cups.  This seems
| > to cause lots of new users problems, and I can not think of
| > any particular reason not to use printcap.  Surely this should
| > actually be the default?
|
| it would make sense to me yes, I can't think of a reason not to
| do it,

Perhaps it isn't the default so your old/existing printcap (set up for
lpd or something that actually uses it) isn't clobbered.  I agree that
a debconf option would be sensible.

| I haven't seen any programs that are aware of the file /etc/printcap.cups

Samba, with "printing = cups", uses whatever file is specified in
CUPS' config.  (However, if you also set "printcap name = cups" it
will use cups itself and ignore any printcap file)

| others seem to query /etc/printcap before printing.

That is why cups has the option for generating a dummy printcap.

-D

--
A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/