Re: HDD clicking (Update)

On Saturday 25 January 2003 11:33, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> For some days now, I've been hearing repeated clicking sounds from my
> harddisk, especially during I/O operations.

First of all, thanks to those who answered, luckily there was and is nothing
of value on that disk anyway, so I guess I'll keep it running 'till it bursts
into flame.

I noticed a weird thing about that noise. It only occurs on a specific
partition of the disk in question. Since it's the last partition - probably
positioned near the hub -, I think (and hope) that the disk only suffers some
positioning glitches in that region. I ran tiobench on other partitions
without hearing anything unusual, but running it on that particular partition
gives me something of a barrage.

'mke2fs -c -c' produced no errors and no clicks, so continuous access doesn't
seem to be a problem either, which supports my theory.

I'll tell you when it breaks down... ;-)

--
Got Backup?