Re: ext3 partition recovery

on Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:27:59PM +0000, Miguel (maiguel@subdimension.com) wrote:
> hi,
>
> last night I decided to format a partition to fat32 and I used window$
> to do this (bad decision...). Aparently, all went ok but, today, when I
> rebooted the machine to linux, my home partition has been erased! (It
> was the last partion in the disk).
>
> My partition looks (used to...) like this:
>
>  |-- 1. NTFS
>  |-- 2. ext2
>  |-- 3. extended
>  |     |
>  |     |-- 3.1 ext3  [ / ]
>  |     |
>  |     |-- 3.2 swap
>  |     |
>  |     |-- 3.3 ext3 [/home]
>
> The partition I had formated to fat32 was the ext2 partition (#2).
>
> I tryed gpart but it could not solve the problem.

In general that's your second best bet.

Your best bet is recovery from your tape backups.  This is why you'll
find every discussion of repartitioning your system says, preferably in
flaming letters three feet (0.90m) tall:

    BACK UP AND VERIFY YOUR DATA BEFORE REPARTITIONING YOUR DISK. YOU
    RISK LOSING ALL DATA.  PERMANENTLY.

Consider this a learning experience.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux browsers: