Re: SCSI CD-ROM disappeared

Andrew Perrin said:
> I discovered this while trying to get sound working on my desktop
> machine. Basically, a SCSI CD-RW that once worked has simply stopped
> working, as far as I can tell.

> 1.) The small question: how can I tell what device (/dev/*) a given SCSI
> device is attached to?
> 2.) The big question: what should I do to diagnose this?

did you compile your own kernel? there is a special option for SCSI
CDROM support in the SCSI section(I think its on by default ..). I would
expect all debian kernels that have SCSI support to have this on.

can you test the drive in another machine or another OS? I recently
aquired about 6 compaq deskpro systems, most with IDE CDROMs, one of them
doesn't work. the system detects the drive, the tray works and everything
but trying to boot from the CDROM fails, and trying to mount any media
fails as well. Perhaps your drive just died. I have read many stories
about HP CD-R drives crapping out though I don't recall the models(this
was a long time ago maybe 5 years). can you get it to play an audio
CD?

On systems with a single SCSI cdrom I have never seen the device assigned
a /dev entry other then /dev/scd0.

and try the data cd your trying to mount in another CDROM as well, keep
in mind you cannot mount audio cds, Video CDs(VCD), and probably a few
other formats as well.

nate