Re: Nvidia corrupting kernel?

karrottop said:
> For some reason the nvidia module is not loading at startup.  I had to
> reinstall my emu10k1 modules and my nvidia module after installing the
> kernel version 2.4.20 and now I have to manually kill gdm and modprobe
> nvidia...this works and gives me a thought as to what might be the
> problem.  Aparently it gives the warning that it could/is corrupting the
> kernel when it loads.  What is causing this?  My only guess is that
> something for nvidia or a graphics driver is compiled into the kernel, but
> looking back through with menuconifg I could not find the module it might
> have been...any ideas or insight would be helpfull, thanks as always

If you change kernel versions, the modules must always be compiled.

and the message your seeing is related to the module license. It is the
developer's way of telling you this driver is not fully open source and
don't ask the kernel folks for help as they will ignore you. You have to
ask the author of the driver for any assistance(in this case, nvidia).

I haven't used nvidia'a kernel driver in 2.4.x but have used it quite a bit
in 2.2.19 for the past year and a half(more or less) with near flawless
results.

nate