Re: exim and relaying -- for ONE user

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:30:35 -0600
will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:

> looking for a way to accept HARDLY ANY relays -- hopefully more
> than just "anybody from worldnet.att.net"...
>
> i've got a partner who'd like to be able to send email from
> serensoft.com -- but he's way out in the northeast using
> worldnet.att.net, and i'm way out here in the midwest using
> podunk-isp-r-us.
>
> when he tries sending email as coming from @serensoft.com, it's
> accepted if it's TO another serensoft user; but for any external
> destination it gets bounced as a relay attempt, because of the
> line
>
> 	relay_domains =
>
> in the /etc/exim/exim.conf file.
>
> if i change it to
>
> 	relay_domains = worldnet.att.net
>
> then he can certainly send email from @serensoft to @out-there
> but then SO CAN ANYBODY ELSE using that small, tiny,
> insignificant worldnet.att.net network (of thousands and
> thousands).
>
> is there some way to further restrict the relaying? i DO NOT want
> any black hats turning my server into spam-o-rama. ideas welcome.

If your partner has fixed IP, then you could try adding to
host_accept_relay otherwise I'll have to defer to those who really know
what they are doing.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering