Re: CD-writer is not recognized as a scsi device

Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Friday 24 January 2003 16:01, Vera Friederichs wrote:
> > Hi,
> > in my computer is a ATAPI IDE CD-writer (and another CDROM). But cdrecord
> > -scanbus finds only my scsi hard disk.
> > In lilo.conf there is a line
> > append= "hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"
>
>Try "hdb=scsi hdc=scsi" instead. That's what works for me.

I have tried this and then at least the ide-driver did not grab the CD-writer. But still
cdrecord -scanbus
did not find it.

Ruediger Noack wrote:
> I think you need some more.
>
> sg                     24068   0  (autoclean)
> sr_mod                 11832   0  (autoclean)
> ide-scsi                7680   0
> cdrom                  28960   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
> scsi_mod               80600   3  (autoclean) [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]

I have tried a lot of combinations loading and removing the modules in different orders with
modprobe and with "hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi" and "hdb=scsi hdc=scsi". No success. In the end I
have compiled a new kernel with scsi emulation and ... support (I forgot the exact name) compiled in.
Then it worked!
But only for curiosity: Why didn't it work with the modules?

Thanks,
Vera