Re: Alas and alack.

Bob Paige <bobman@iname.com> writes:

>> I'm a big Linux fan because of usability, extensibility,
>> flexibility, and security issues.  I believe that the different
>> mechanisms available with GNU software, especially the Debian
>> GNU/Linux way, lends itself well to dealing with these issues.  But
>> not even Debian can deal with systems that are improperly managed.
>> Apparently some people still don't take software maintenance
>> seriously.  Self managed systems can help some, but it still takes
>> involvement from people, and that will always be the bottom line as
>> far as I am concerned.
>>
> Being something of a newbie myself, can someone suggest a way to keep
> a system up to date?
>
> I know through apt-get (or wajig) you can automatically download and
> install the latest updates, but I would like to see a system that
> automatically notifies you (via email?) when such an update results in
> new packages being installed.
>
> Ideas?
>
> - Bobman

I run the following script from cron. It does what you requested.

#!/bin/sh
# A script to download available Debian updates and list packages that
# will be updated. Designed to be quiet enough to be run from cron.
#
# Copyright (c) 2002 Marius Gedminas
# Licensed under the GNU GPL.

apt-get update -qq
apt-get dist-upgrade -d -u -y -q | fgrep -v "Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded."

--
Med venlig hilsen
Jens Christian Gram