Re: home lan, modem sharing, etc.

This one time, at band camp, Vikki Roemer said:
> Hi!
> So I have several questions:
> Can I set up modem sharing with a minimum of hassle for my parents
> when they go to use it and for free?  How?

Sure.  There is a package called diald that is designed for this,
although I have heard mixed reports about how well it works.  pppd also
has a demand mode that I know works well.  Set the client computer to
use the other as a gateway, do the proper things for connection sharing
there (more information to follow if you don't know what I mean) and it
should work fine.

> Semi-related question-- do I absolutely *need* Partition Magic to
> dual-boot Linux and Windows?  The thing is, with my dad being out of
> work, we don't have money for a $60 piece of software. :(

No.  In my experience, when you're installing both from scrathc (as it
sounds like you're going to) just install Windows first - the Debian
install at least is smart enough to detect another parasite^W OS on the
hard drive, and set up lilo accordingly.  If that doesn't work in
libranet, the default lilo configuration for Debian has some lines
commented out that will point you in the right direction.  Basically,
Windows will overwrite the MBR without asking, but lilo will do The
Right Thing WRT other OS's on the disk.

> Is it possible to set up the mail on my system so that my parents'
> mailboxen can be accessed with Mozilla on their computer?  I tried
> getting Moz to get mail from localhost but it won't-- will I run into
> similar problems over a LAN?

Again, sure.  I run qpopper or the like for LAN-only access - for times
where one computer is picking up the mail, but there are likely to be
plenty of dumb clients, and no one stores their mail on the server, and
you're behind a firewall, straightforward POP3 is easy and fast.  If you
have more complicated needs, I recommend IMAP and SSL (or TLS).  Most
Windows email apps will allow you to set up the smarthost for outgoing
mail and the POP/IMAP server for incoming mail by IP, so you don't even
need ot worry about getting Windows lmhosts files working right, which I
always find to bw more aggravating than necessary.

> Is there anything else I should be setting up?

Some iptables-based firewalling, especially for the netbios nastiness,
andit looks pretty good here.  There's _always_ more to do, but that's a
good start.  Printer sharing is also nice, and easy to set up with samba
and cups.

|  Stephen Gran                  | If you can keep your head when all      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | about you are losing theirs, then you   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | clearly don't understand the situation. |