Re: instructions for setting up sound?

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 04:39:16PM -0500, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Barclay wrote:
> >
> > >Can anyone point me to instructions for setting up audio that
> > >addresses kernel messages such as:
> > >
> > >    modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0
> > What does "lspci" say your sound card is (assuming it's a PCI card - if
> > it's (E)ISA, Yikes! I'm outta here . . .)?
>

> 02:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
>         Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8077
>         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Step
> ping+ SERR- FastB2B-
>

> I've got sound, and some mixer controls work (the CD-specific level
> control works), but the PCM-specific level control does not.

AFAIK this card is not supported by standard kernel builds. You need
to build a new kernel and enable "C-Media PCI" support in the sound
section of make menuconfig. Without this, the bits that are more or
less standard (ie. old SoundBlaster control sequences work) will work,
but the newer / non-standard features won't.

If you build it as a module, you'll then have to add the line "cmpci"
to /etc/modules to make it be loaded automatically on bootup.

Note that the driver is pretty out of date, so S/PDIF support is
minimal and 24-bit sample size is not supported.

> Note that what I'm looking for a good explanation of how things work.
> (E.g., where does the string "sound-service-0-0" come from (what portion
> comes from what part of the kernel, or what would I see in mixer source),

Can't help you there, sorry. But when you build a new kernel, you'll
have the source there to look through :-)

> what are all those virtual (aliasable) modules names for (what does each do), etc.)

IIRC (no sound on this box at the moment) there's soundcore.o, which
provides (of course) the "core" interface for sound services, and
connects with the module for the sound card (cmpci.o) which deals with
the peculiarities of talking to that particular card.

Pigeon