Re: Tips for moving to XEmacs

"Charlie Reiman" <creiman@kefta.com> writes:

> [...]

In general, you tend to want to ignore random programs' private
package systems in favor of dpkg.  (The other big one that comes to
mind is Perl's CPAN, which I've had horrid luck with in general.)  One
of xemacs21-basesupport and xemacs21-support installs pretty much
everything that comes with XEmacs.  This definitely includes dired-
and cc-modes.

>> is there anything else I should install for editing C and Perl?
>
> You'll need perl-modes and cc-mode at minimum.

...again, bundled with the Debian XEmacs.

>> There's lots of Emacs tutorials found by Google.  Any recommendations on
>> ones you might have found most useful?

I found 'C-h t' useful ever so many years ago.  I haven't looked at
anything online either, though.

>> The tips I need to help me start using Emacs are in basic configuration
>> (these are mostly common functions of my old editor that I can't live
>> without):
>>
>> - I don't want long lines to wrap with the U-turn arrow at the end, I want
>> a scroll bar.
>
> (setq truncate-lines t)

(Which wants to go in your .emacs file.)

>> - I want tab to insert spaces instead of tabs, and each indent is to the
>> next 4 char column.

The default behavior of the tab key pretty much everywhere in Emacs is
to reindent the current line to the "right" place.  cc-mode is
particularly good about this; cperl-mode can get confused with the
right Perl constructs.

	-- Abra Mitchell