Re: need help in installing nic drivers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:11:48PM -0600, Kenn Murrah wrote:
> I just purchased a Dell server with the intention of installing Debian woody
> on it ... all looks good except the NIC ... instructions seem to be for Red
> Hat 7.x only, about which it says, "There is native driver support for the
> integrated Intel 10/100/1000 NIC. To enable Linux support for the NIC,
> install the e1000.o module from (location given)" ....
>
> Since the base installation was unable to find the NIC, i'm assuming that
> Debian will require the same module (?) ... if so, where can I find info on
> installing it (I'm trying to move up in the world, having experimented with
> Mandrake for the last several months, and I've never needed to know how to
> do this ...
>
> Feel free, of course, to tell me to RTFM, but please point me the right
> direction ...

You may have to compile your own kernel (module).  I didn't see it
listed in stable, although it is a module in the testing and unstable
2.4.20 kernels.  Once you have the module, just "modprobe e1000", and,
if necessary, manually configure it and the routing table.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com