Re: /var still counts /var/cache

* Richard Hector (rhector@paradise.net.nz) [030127 20:42]:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 10:23, jaycee.spamtrap@jaycee.uklinux.net wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 03:54:57PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > > I made a new partition for /var/cache since that's where all my data is.
> > > Unfortunately /var is still counting the contents of /var/cache and thinks
> > > that /var is full. I'm not sure how to tell /var that it doesn't hold
> > > /var/cache anymore.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Emma -
> >
> > Did you delete the contents of /var before mounting the new
> > /var/cache directory on top of it?
>
> You don't want to delete all of /var if you're only moving /var/cache
> >
> > I'm _not_ suggesting you just do
> >
> > # umount /var/cache
> > # rm /var/cache
>
> Not quite - rm won't remove a directory, and you don't want to anyway.
> "rm /var/cache/*" might be more useful.

Unless there are files /var/cache/.foo =)

The * won't match the dotfiles.  It shouldn't be an issue in this
particular case, but it's something to be aware of.  The best way to go
about this is probably as someone else already suggested: move the old
one to cache.old, create a new cache, make sure the ownership and
permissions are the same, then rm -rf cache.old.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/