Re: instructions for setting up sound?

Stephen Gran wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Daniel Barclay said:
> >
> > Can anyone point me to instructions for setting up audio that
> > addresses kernel messages such as:
> >
> >     modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0
>
> This is because ...

Thanks for the fish, but what I'm really looking for is the fishing textbook.  (You know, the "give a man (person) a fish.../teach him
to fish..." proverb.)

I have yet to find any document/web page/manual page that explains
what all the various sound-service-0-0/etc. module names are for.
(I've found many web pages that say to use "alias sound-service-x-y
xyz" for particular cases (e.g., using Alsa sound), but none that
explains what's going on or how to determine what's needed in any
particular case.)

If anybody knows of good documentation in that area, I'd appreciate
a pointer.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay