Re: HDD general (was: RE: HDD clicking)

hi ya

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, nate wrote:

> Narins, Josh said:
>
> > Dear Debian users,
> > 	How do I calculate the difference in "cost to hard drive wear
> > and tear from a single spin-up" to the cost of letting it run for a length
> > of time?
>
> this would probably vary depending on what kind of disk. So it's very
> difficult to calculate.

there's no data that i know of for "single spin up/spin down"..
	- lot more data, of if the drive has been powered up for 2-3-4
	years.. to let it stay up ... dont touch it !!!

	- before powering down, backup evrything you want off of it...
	( it might NOT come back up after a power down
	( bearings and lubs worn out and was spinning on air for the
	( past few years

if you are trying to figure out how long the disks should last...

disks are typically 30,000 MTBF at 25C
	divide by 2 ( half-life ) for every 10C increase from ambient temp
		( a good rule of thumb )

	ie .. if your disks is spinning at 55C ... you can expect
	an average lifespan of about 7500hrs ( 1-2 years )

	a typical cpu runs 35-55C ... 80-100C with a broken fan

-- ie ... add a fan to your disks !!!  ( but make sure its airflow does
   not interfere w/ the CPU... but than again.. .disks are more important
   than an easily swapped in new replacement cpu
	- it runs much much cooler

c ya
alvin