Re: Good way to run Windows apps on Debian 3.0?

Sam Rosenfeld said:
> Is Wine a decent choice for executing scientific and tax-assistance
> windows application programs on Debian 3.0?  If so,  how does the
> winapp recognize ext2fs?  I've read the relevant docs that come with Wine,
> but they are a bit ambiguous for my purposes.  (I would prefer to run
> Windows applications within Linux rather than installing Windows and
> shifting between the OSs.)
>
> Any help with counsel or references will be greatly appreciated.

depends on your budget. I would highly reccomend vmware over wine
for the more "important" stuff, since it's a complete enviornment,
but it does require a win32 license to operate.

then theres plex86, bochs, and one other program who's name escapes
me,Win4lin thats it. I haven't tried bochs since '98, never tried plex86
or win4lin so can't reccomend either way there.

wine works well for simple things, the commercial implimentations
seem to have better compadiblity with commercial apps e.g. codeweavers
wine, and theres another who's name escapes me at the moment too.

vmware personal edition isn't expensive, I use the 'normal' version
since it can run linux & freebsd & friends whereas last I read the
personal edition only ran win9x.

vmware also adds significant hardware requirements onto the machine,
if your gonna be using it a lot I'd reccomend not a CPU less then 500mhz
and no less then 384MB ram, preferably 800Mhz CPU, and 512MB ram. I
run my virtual machines with 96MB memory(allocated to the guest OS).
It works wonderfully, vmware is probably the most stable app I've
ever used on any platform.

nate