alsa driver configuration

hello all.
I am trying to configure alsa drivers on an unstable box.  I compiled them with make-kpkg without a problem and the deb installed.  Following instructions on the web I added a file alsa to /etc/modutils...  which debconf prompted and moved to /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 and linked back.  I do not get any errors until I try to run alsamixer,  which causes a function snd_ctl_open failed for default: no such file or directory.  I was wondering just how to set this default?  Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Mark