Re: Backup Consensus?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:32, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Is there a place where a general consensus has been reached on exactly
> what is necesary to backup a Debian system?  I'm sure this has been
> asked and answered many times before, so I am looking for URLs to where
> this has been discussed in the past.
>
> I apologize in advance, but I'm not a subscriber of this list.  Please
> cc me on replies.
>
> Thank you very much,

FWIW I first of all dump my postgres databases into $HOME, then make a list
of my installed (debian) packages, also in $HOME.

I then backup $HOME excluding browser cache files, /etc and /usr/local.

My idea is that after a disaster I'd make a minimum debian install, restore
$HOME, /usr/local. After that I'd reinstall my packages from the list I
gathered and then selectively restore /etc to get my configs back the way I
had them.

I've never used this in anger and I'd welcome any suggestions from the wiser
heads out there.

Regards
Bob