Re: Hard Disk Partition Recovery

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:59:07PM -0500, Barry Pollock wrote:
> Keep in mind that dos 6.22 is only a 16 bit system and linux is 32 bit so
> if a 32  bit system writes to the partition table a  16 bit system may not
> be able to access the boot secter. keep  in mind that dos can only read 2
> partitions from the primary and linux can read 4

Ehmm. You can do 32 bit math with a 16 bit processor, if required. Just
like you can do 64 bit math on a 32bit processor.

   main (){long long t; t=111111111; t=t*t; printf ("%lld\n",t); }

Now I will agree that creating partition tables with Linux may make
them inaccessible to Windows. But this seems to be a simple consistency
check in Windows that somehow seems to trigger. Not a fundamental 16/32
bit issue.

Also it is not true that Windows can only use 2 out of 4 primary partitions.
It used to be the case that windows couldn't use more than ONE primary
partition. Just because microsoft decides "why for god's sake would
you need more than one partition"?

By the time they realized that this was wrong, they implemented ONLY
extended partitions.

			Roger.