Re: Is there a way to force apt/dpkg to rebuild the menu in X ?

I found that some times you have to do some strange things with
complicated packages like x and emacs.
first of all make a copy of the /var/lib/dpkg/status package and make it
think that the paackages haven't been installeed ever by removing all of
the packages out of  the status file. that is, the lines for that package
should be removed.
Then make a directory and unpack the dfiles you want with dpkg --extract

like this
mkdir  package-temp

cd package-temp
now you are in the new directory where the new package is going to be
extracted.
dpkg --extract packagename destination
If you do not have the package archive you can just download the `.deb'
file you need and do  the extraction.
this way you will have a tree of everything the package built in the
current directory. Then you can run dpkg-preconfigure on the package and
check your new /var/lib/dpkg/status file against the original. You may
also have to use apt-get source packagename to find what happens behind
the scenes.