Re: *install* the kernel was Re: GeForce4 MX

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:29:46PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 03:49:55PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:

No I didn't, you did :-)

> Now that I'm actually using my new kernel (as opposed to when I was using
> the old kernel with the new one not hooked into lilo) AND I've update
> locales (which updated two modules: libc6, libc6-dev) AND I've added
> NVdriver to /etc/modules I no longer have to load the driver by hand each
> time.

So it's all working now? Cool. Looking back up this thread it looks
like you'd done everything but the locales update before. If this
pulled in new C libraries ANYTHING could happen :-) Maybe if you post
your versions of libc6 and modutils someone more knowledgeable than me
about version interations etc. could comment.

> > The standard (as opposed to the Debian) procedure for kernel compiling
> > ends with the two makes:
> > make modules
> > make modules_install
> > Did you remember the last step? (Which must be run as root.)
>
> Yup. This is how I recompile my kernel.
>
> Step One: backup files.
> .config
> System.map
> bzImage
> lilo.conf
> /lib/modules all go into a tar ball
> vmlinuz (which is redundant, but that's what I do).

Oh, there've been a few times when I've screwed something up and been
glad I still had my previous kernel image around...

> Step Two: configure kernel
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> edit lilo.conf to point to new bzImage (or vmlinuz)
> lilo
>
> Step Three: reboot
> Step Four: uname -a to make sure I'm running the right kernel

Looks fine to me.

Pigeon