Re: Recovering lost partitions

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 03:38:04AM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I managed to rescue partition 7 using parted rescue, however that
> partition was empty to begin with. The one that I REALLY need is 8, and
> it doesn't seem to want to come back. This is exactly what I've done
> since deleting the partition:
>
> resized 4 to 12692.258 - 23101.281
> resized 4 to 12692.258 - 43974.799
> rescued 7
>
> Since parted won't rescue it for me, how do I go about rescuing it
> myself? Are there any tools that can do the job? TIA.

If you haven't done anything else, you can probably use fdisk to
recreate the partition in exactly the same spot and everything will
still be there. I've done this in the past when I made the mistake of
manipulating a partition table with DOS fdisk and it just deleted all
the logical volumes it didn't recognize (NTFS, ext2, Linux swap). fdisk
doesn't change anything except the partition table and lets you control
all the details of where a partition goes, but I'm not familiar with
parted.

--
Michael Heironimus