Re: Some myths regarding apt pinning

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:01:08AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:39:32AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> I'm currently subscribed to the German Debian user list and it happens
> that people tell _novice users_ things like:
>
>   Yes, Debian stable is horribly outdated, but with apt pinning you get
>   the latest software.
>
> A user who doesn't really know what he's doing should _never_ leave
> stable.
> If someone else wants to run unstable because he says he learns much
> about his system while trying to cope with the breakages he knows what
> he's doing, too.
>
> But it's really wrong if people tell novice users to use apt pinning to
> get more recent software.

Well, that is exactly the value of people like you to back port packages
and selectively upgrade key packages and to offer them as apt-getable
archive :-)

Anyway, it may be good idea to put something like following in Debian
web site to reduce this type of confusion.
What Debian is best for me?

 Debian is available in 3 major flavors - stable, testing, and unstable -
 for practically all CPU architectures. Here is a guideline for the choice.

 |               |               | Recommended |                          |
 | User type     | Criteria      | Debian      | Note                     |
 |               |               | Flavor      |                          |
 |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
 |               | First time    |             | You have much to learn   |
 |               | using Debian  | stable +    | before playing with the  |
 | Total Newbie  | with no       | security    | testing flavor. Buy a CD |
 |               | previous      | fixes       | set of the stable        |
 |               | GNU/Linux     |             | version.                 |
 |               | experience.   |             |                          |
 |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
 |               |               |             | Learn how to use         |
 |               | First time    |             | Debian-specific things   |
 |               | using Debian  | stable +    | first with a small       |
 | Debian Newbie | with good     | security    | install to become a      |
 |               | previous      | fixes       | Power User. Please do    |
 |               | GNU/Linux     |             | not think about          |
 |               | experience.   |             | downloading big          |
 |               |               |             | ISO-images.              |
 |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
 |               |               |             | Watch the release cycle  |
 |               | Experienced   |             | and use APT pinning.     |
 |               | Debian user   | testing     | Prepare to get your      |
 |               | who wants to  | (unstable,  | hands dirty with package |
 | Power User    | run latest    | stable,     | bugs. Read at least      |
 |               | version of    | security    | "debian-devel-announce   |
 |               | GNU/Linux     | fixes)      | at lists.debian.org".    |
 |               | desktop.      |             | Most people belong here  |
 |               |               |             | :-)                      |
 |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
 |               | Debian user   |             |                          |
 |               | who needs to  | stable +    | If you need the latest   |
 |               | have a        | security    | packages, backport them  |
 | Professional  | rock-solid    | fixes (may  | from the source,         |
 | User          | Debian server | use testing | unstable, or testing by  |
 |               | in the        | only after  | yourself.                |
 |               | production    | freeze)     |                          |
 |               | environment.  |             |                          |
 |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
 |               | Debian user   |             |                          |
 |               | who wants to  |             |                          |
 |               | be a Debian   | any flavor  | Do not expose yourself   |
 | DD Wannabee   | Developer and | but with    | to unnecessary risks.    |
 |               | needs an      | chroot      | pbuilder is your friend. |
 |               | unstable      | unstable    |                          |
 |               | flavor        |             |                          |
 |               | environment.  |             |                          |
 |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
 |               |               |             | Have fun with broken     |
 |               |               |             | glibc, bash, ... :-)     |
 |               |               |             | Sh--t happens every few  |
 |               |               |             | months. Read             |
 |               | Debian user   |             | "debian-devel-announce   |
 |               | who refuses   |             | at lists.debian.org" and |
 | Debian        | to lag behind | unstable    | "debian-devel at         |
 | Diehard       | the bleeding  |             | lists.debian.org".       |
 |               | edge.         |             | (Having said this, it is |
 |               |               |             | quite usable if you know |
 |               |               |             | what you are doing. It   |
 |               |               |             | is much easier than      |
 |               |               |             | compiling everything by  |
 |               |               |             | yourself.)               |

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract