USB primer?

Hi, this is mostly a request for a pointer to the right docs. I haven't
ever had any USB devices until the past few months, when I picked up a
webcam, scanner, and mouse. The webcam & the scanner aren't on the
compatability lists, but I'm curious to get the mouse going. There
doesn't seem to be a USB howto, and I've no idea what modules to load or
what device listings to try. dmesg doesn't list anything about a USB
hub.

I'm glad to receive general pointers to USB docs, or specific advice for
my hardware (all really cheap stuff I picked up for <$10 after rebate)):
  Webcam is Veo Connect [it sucks]
  Scanner is Artec e+48u [not too great]
  Mouse is Logitech Wheelmouse (optical)[very nice, can move wheel
	 without accidentally clicking button 2]

TIA, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney