Re: redirect of "ls --color" causes problems

Hugh Saunders wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:54:29AM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
> >   'chsh /bin/zsh', then ls() { /bin/ls --color=auto --classify "$@"; }
> please explain...

I think he is proposing that you change your shell to zsh since he
favors that shell?  An advocacy thing.

Then the next part says create a function in the shell that calls ls
with options.

I am coming in late to this thread and did not read the original
posting.  My I reverse that advocacy and say to use bash instead and
just use aliases?  I think zsh has aliases too.

  alias ls='ls --color=auto --classify'

Much simpler that creating the shell function.

But actually I do not prefer color and turn that off myself.  I have
randomly colored terminals and the color always clashes somewhere.

Bob