Re: Can't figure out CVS

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:41:06PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:53:51PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> | On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:35:36PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> | > On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:45:40PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> [...]
> | >
> | > Often the project has a single module named the same as the project.
> | > You can confirm this using the "Browse CVS Repository" link on the
> | > instrution page.
> |
> | Ha, I missed this. I went to "check it out" from the rhide home page;
> | this took me into a directory tree, and it seemed to me that I was
> | browsing said tree. (Hang on, I'm a pigeon, not a giraffe...) It
> | didn't make it obvious that module names were directory names.
>
> How did you know it was a directory?  CVSWeb gives you an HTML page to
> look at :-).

Well, this is part of what confused me. It's a set of index.html files
which simulate browsing a directory tree, with little "folder" icons
for each directory. So my first attempt at retrieving the entire package
was by trying to wget the directory tree, which of course didn't work.
If the folder icons had had "mod" written in them, or looked like a
jigsaw piece, or whatever, I'd probably have figured it out sooner.

> The point is just that _how_ the data is stored in the
> backend can be different from the specific way it is viewed from the
> frontend.

My wget experiment showed this up :-)

> Yes, cvs uses directories to store modules, but the top
> directory (the "cvs root") must have the directory CVSROOT in it and
> that contains several files related to the repository.  If you have
> the cvs root on a local disk you can muck with the repository
> directly, but it isn't a good idea unless you have a backup and/or you
> know something about how cvs stores the data.
>
> HTH,

It does, thanks.

Pigeon