Re: External serial modem advice ?

Dave Selby wrote:
Having had problems with my winmodem ... dont even go there ... I am going to buy a full hardware modem. I have been advised that external serial modems are the best for linux.

Does anyone know if the

Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro 56K V90/V92 External Serial Modem

Is OK with debian ? I can find tons on winmodems but no serial modem compatibility lists ?

Anyone use it ... ?

Dave

I have been using the internal version of this modem here with great success.

Generally speaking "most" external modems are OK, but there are so many models, even in this specific brand, that it is impossible to give a 100% guarantee. Diamond will use the same descriptor as you listed for a whole family of modems that are built for specific areas and use different or modified chipset (U.S., Europe, etc). If you have access to it and can get additional data such as the chipset used and the actual Diamond Model number (2420, 2312, 2730 all appear to be OK), you can look up more details at: http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html in their modem database. I have done a quick scan there an all the External Modems of the type you described above are either listed as "OK" or they just haven't had a report on it (listed as ?). I didn't see any that were listed as "Winmodem" or "Linmodem".

HTH,

-Don Spoon-