Re: DEVFS, howto test creation of devices in /dev?

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:02:40PM -0500, Jameson C. Burt wrote:
> For "Device File System", Debian "devfsd" package,
> how might I test that "devfsd" properly creates files in /dev?
>
> As a particular example, I work with the Debian "camserv" package,
> so I added to devfsd's configuration file,
>    /etc/devfs/devfsd.conf
> the line,
>    REGISTER  ^v4l/video0$  CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink v4l/video0 video0
> When starting "camserv", I get the not so specific error message,
>    (V4L) video_open: No such file or directory
> Unfortunately, this message does not specify the problematic file,
> but I get neither the device /dev/v4l/video0 nor /dev/video0.
> So, with several possible sources for this error
> (camserv, devfsd, devfsd.conf),
> I would like to test that "devfsd" properly creates devices in /dev.
> For example, I would like some testing-tool that my command line
> ***   some-testing-tool   /dev/video0
> would induce "devfsd" to consider devfsd.conf, then create the following
> device and link,
>    /dev/v4l/video0
>    /dev/video0  -->  v4l/video0

On my computer devfs is mounted on /dev. To test creation of devices
for my webcam, all I did was modprobe pwc and pwcx and then plug
webcam into usb port. I did not modify any configuration file in
/etc/devfsd.

A simple "ls -l /dev/v[4i]*" verifies that /dev/video0 symlink and
/dev/v4l/video0 were created when camera was plugged in. There should
also be entries in /var/log/messages when the devices register and
unregister.

--
Jerome