Re: Fwd: Re: fun with tulip not autoloading

Kieren Diment wrote:

From: Kent West <westk@acu.edu>
Newsgroups: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: fun with tulip not autoloading

Kieren Diment wrote:

From: Ray <tech13@powerweb.net>
Newsgroups: linux.debian.user
Subject: fun with tulip not autoloading

i'm using
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 21)
and for some reason the tulip module that runs it wont load by default.

I came up with a really ugly hack for this:

Just add the line:

modprobe tulip near the top of /etc/init.d/networking
(before any conditional statements).

You're right; that is ugly.

I'd suggest you take the line out of /etc/init.d/networking, and instead add the single line

  tulip

to /etc/modules.

Well, i was lying slightly.  The driver I had to do this for was
natsemi, and the reason I did it was that placing natsemi
in /etc/modules didn't work.  Rather than spending another couple of
hours of my time and my boss's money working out how to do it cleanly,
I simply applied the ugly hack.  I could of course put a conditional
around it for when the module is already loaded, and I probably will
one day unless I can magically work out how to autoload the thing in
the mean time without applying any effort...

Ah, makes sense then.

Kent