openssl Illegal instruction with sid version

I am not sure if this is a bug or I just don't have things installed
correctly.  I have just installed the sid version of openssl and its
required dependencies with:
apt-get -t unstable install openssl

But the perl script CA.pl that came with openssl didn't seem to work on
my system.

When I did:
cd /usr/lib/ssl/misc
./CA.pl -newca

It created the demoCA directory but didn't ask me the usual questions
and didn't generate any keys.

Then upon reading through the perl script I tried running the command
directly:
openssl req -new -x509 -keyout demoCA/private/cakey.pem -out
demoCA/cacert.pem -days 3650
Illegal instruction

So then I tried running:
openssl version
Illegal instruction

I then tried the following on another machine running the testing
version and got:
openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.6g 9 Aug 2002

So I figure that there is a problem with the sid version of openssl on
my system.

I have both libc6 and libssl0.9.7 from unstable.

Does anyone have any idea what I should check next?

Regards.
Mark.