Re: Verification of apt-get config for mixed system.

Dale Hair <dale@meridian-electric.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 10:57, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>

> That is what I do, but as I said earlier a dist-upgrade could remove
> some packages you want to keep so the -s option will tell you what it
> will do before you regret doing it.  A dist-upgrade is not always a wise
> thing to do when you dabble in unstable.
>
> I think pinning a package is more for keeping a package from being
> upgraded.  If you are running testing you could keep a package at
> stable, or you could pin it to a specific version in testing.

Even though I haven't explicitly stated this in any messages, I always
do a run with '-s' as a precaution before a "real" run, and I agree with
you about its value.

But even so, it's also still valuable to me to not have to remember to
put the '-t' option on the 'apt-get' command line, and now I understand
how to set things up so I don't have to do that, except for when I'm
first installing a package from "unstable".

Thanks to you and others for all your help.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com