USB Printer Problem

I have an Epson Stylus Color 860 attached to a USB port. I am using CUPS and cupsomatic-ppd. localhost:631/printers shows Foomatic + stp-4.0 and usb:/dev/usblp0. When I try Print Test Page nothing is printed and the /var/log/cups/error_log lists

   GNU Ghostscript 7.05: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

There are some earlier complaints that plain paper is not a valid parameter of type media type and 360 is not a valid parameter of type resolution.

The system is Debian Testing with kernel 2.4.20

This printer previously worked perfectly with CUPS installed from the CD accompanying Michael Sweet's book. I installed the debian cupsys and cupsomatic packages as I want to use it with kde. I downloaded the 860 drivers from linuxprinting.org.